What does a series on favorite recipes have to do with loss and disappointment?

Working through grief has shaped who I am today and is a lens through which I see the world.

I am committed to providing resources for you to learn how to navigate your own hard road of loss or disappointment.

I do this by telling stories of living life after parent loss and sharing tips and lessons I've learned along the way.

As I move forward into a new season of writing, my desire is to encourage and strengthen women who are pressing hard into Jesus even when tough times hit and threaten to take you out of the race.

I will continue sending a weekly devotional via email to those who have joined my list.
I will occasionally post to my blog, but not all of my writing ends up on the blog. If you are in need of a small dose of weekly encouragement, I invite you to join my email list to receive these weekly letters. You are free to unsubscribe at any time if you find it's not for you.


What does a series on Family Favorite Recipes have to do with learning to navigate my hard road of loss or disappointment?
My twin sister Wendy and my Mom, Betty
less than a year before her death at age 36.

It is healing for me to write about food and family recipes. I didn't learn to cook from my mom Betty, but I watched her cook when she was well and I have vague memories of enjoying the food she made. I realized as a teenager, that if I didn't ask someone to teach me, I would not learn to make the food I remember my mom making for our family.

As a teen, I took an interest in family recipes for this very reason. I learned various cooking and baking skills from my step-mom, my aunts and Grandma. I scoured cookbooks. I copied recipes from Grandma's recipe box. Learning family recipes was my attempt to hold onto a part of my mother tied to happy memories.

I am grateful for the women in my life who stepped in to fill an unfillable void that was left in my life after the death of my mom. I don't know where I would be without them.

This is just one example of a way I have attempted to keep happy memories alive and to tap into to the heritage I have received from my mom.

I am grateful for the opportunity to do with my kids what I was never able to do with my mom, Betty. I invite you to check out my Family Favorite Recipe series.

And if you know someone who would benefit from these simple recipes, please share the love! 

Comments

Popular Posts