Chili for a crowd!

5 lbs ground beef
2 - 29 ounce cans tomato sauce
2 - 28 ounce cans diced tomatoes
2 - 4 ounce cans kidney beans (drain juice and discard)
2 - 15 ounce cans black beans (drain juice and discard)

1 tbsp. sea salt
1 1/2 tbsp. oregano
3 tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. garlic powder
4 tbsp. brown sugar
1-2 onions, sauteed in 1-2 tbsp. oil

What you will do:
Brown ground beef. Drain excess fat.
Saute onions in oil and add to beef.
Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and beans to browned meat and begin simmering together.
Add water as needed to reach the desired chili consistency. (I added 4 cups = 1 tomato sauce can full of water)

Add spices and continue to simmer gently. I love to simmer this on very low heat for 1 hour. If you can't watch it and stir occasionally, transfer to a crock pot and allow to simmer all day!

This recipe makes a stock pot full of chili. I filled my crock pot and still had a lot of chili left in my stock pot.

I hesitate to give a recipe for chili, because I make it differently every time. I hardly ever measure spices or anything, for that matter! I use what I have on hand.

You can use any beans you like. You can use more or less tomatoes/sauce. You can use ground turkey or beef or a mixture of both. You can adjust the seasonings to your preference.

Let me know how you make chili! I'd love to hear!





Comments

Popular Posts