The Tale of the Johny Jump Up and Poor Violet

This year, I have had a few Johny Jump Ups pop up at unusual places - they must have reseeded from last year.  Some of the places are fine - and they look like they belong there - others are a little ackward, like the one smack up against the edge of the sidewalk - and still others will lose there shine when the meadow tea begins to grow as profusely as meadow tea does.  The fate of this poor Johny Jump Up would have been that the tea would grow tall all around it - and not give the Johny Jump Up a chance to flourish. 

So I saved poor Johny.  I transplanted a few of these unfortunate tender plants and gave them a place of prominence next to my front door.  I do love these sweet little flowers!
Johny Jump Up in a tea patch

I left this beautiful one go - it looks so lovely, even if it is at an ackward location.  I think of it as a greeting for my visitors - a little smile as they walk past.
Johny Jump Ups along my walk
  And then there was this poor Violet/Viola.  It was grossly neglected - Corina got it from girls night out.  I replanted it, along with little Johny, and pruned it really good.  Hopefully she will take root and grow!

Poor Violet...


A new home


Violet pruned and replanted
 As I pruned her pretty hard, I realized that each year, that process is a necessity.  Pruning.  It isn't fun, but it has to happen!  Plants grow each year- perennials spread and they often grow better when they are divided.
I think people are like that too - not that we grow better divided - but we grow better when we get rid of the unneccessary in our lives.  Sometimes it is good stuff - but it has to go.  I am in the process of trying to discern what part of me stays and what part of me needs to go....

What is my calling in life?  Sometimes I feel like that Johny Jump up in the tea patch.  I know I am meant for more - and I feel drowned out by the circumstances around me.  I am praying that God would plant me where he wants me so that I may flourish - for the display of his glory!

Given a prominent location - outside my front door
 We will see how these two do.  Looking forward to seeing them each morning!

Comments

Popular Posts