Snow Day Rescue


We had a few inches of snow hit our area this morning. Unfortunately, it arrived too late for the high school to call a delay. I drove the girls to school.

It was a slow go. I dropped them off a few minutes late and then headed for home. I passed several High School buses on my way, alleviating my guilt for getting them to school late. And then...my phone rang...to let me know school was now closed. I grumbled under my breath debating whether I should turn around and go get them, or let them ride the bus. I decided to let them ride the bus home.

I approached the crest of the hill where I turn off onto my road. The traffic was slowed to a stop. Cars were inching down the hill. Another car was struggling up the hill, with a person on both sides, pushing. A police car sat stationed at the top of the hill with it's lights flashing a warning for cars to slow down. I was glad I was turning off that road.

I only had a short way to go until I reached our house, but it was down hill all the way. I inched my way toward home. My anti-lock brakes begin pulsing.
I tried to stop - brake, release, brake, release, brake, but with each attempt to stop, I slid and I worried I was going to end up in my neighbors' front yard. Just in time, the tires broke free and the van came to a stop, 20 feet from my driveway. To avoid another "heart-attack" moment, I pulled into my neighbors yard to get to my driveway.

The girls arrived on the bus a half hour later.




As I recounted my experience on the road this morning, my kid's asked if it was like the time the van slid backwards on the lane to my friend's house.

"No, no. That was definitely more scary..."

Last winter, I left to pick up my daughter at her friend's house. It had recently snowed but our van was All-wheel drive, and I didn't have far to travel. I had almost reached the house when my tires started spinning, attempting to gain traction on the stones. I could see the house through the trees; just around the turn. Determined to make it up the hill, I gunned it, hoping to break free. It didn't work. I was stuck. I put the van in park and got out to look around and figure out what I was going to do.  I called Brian and was talking to him when another car came up behind me and stopped, waiting.

My van began rolling backward.  I was standing several feet behind the van when I realized what was happening. In a panic, I tried to get out of the way and slipped and fell on the ice. At this point, the man in the car was honking his horn as my van continued to slide toward me on the ice. I rolled into the ditch and the van stopped moving.

Thank God, he was watching over me that day. When I talked to the man in the car, and explained what happened, he was surprised - he thought someone was in the van and was backing up. That's why he was honking his horn. He ended up backing down the lane and then I did the same with my van.

After I got home that day, I cried and cried - I was so shook up. I'm so thankful that the Lord was watching over me that day.


"You're not safe because of the absence of danger, but because of the presence of God." - Unknown

How about you? Do you have an experience where you have felt the hand of God protecting you? Sometimes it is good to reflect on those moments that happen so quickly - to remember the way God cared for you.

I believe that our stories are valuable! We need to hear stories of God's faithfulness to build each other up and to grow our faith. I'm always ready to hear how God is moving or has moved in your life. Just comment below.

Comments

Popular Posts