Weaver Family Cookbook




My dad's parents lived a simple, modest life. Much like many other couples in the town they grew up and lived in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. They were a solid anchor in my life when the storms blew strong.  When my mother lost her battle to cancer, Grandma was the one who had to break the awful news to us. When my dad - their son - developed the awful debilitating disease of Multiple Sclerosis that left him unable to walk and later caused complications that claimed his life, Grandma and Grandpa continued to offer their love and support to me. 

They weren't perfect - I know that. But I cherish the gift I was entrusted with as a direct result of spending so much time with my Grandma. She was amazing in the kitchen. Simple, delicious, no frills food. Presentation was not the priority. She would never win a prize for the most beautiful pie. But she just might win the prize for the most delicious...

When Grandpa began to have some serious health issues and Grandma had a car accident that sent her to recover in a local nursing home, I began to feel the need to preserve Grandma's recipes. 
The death of my mom occurred before I had the opportunity to learn how to cook from her. I felt it as a huge loss. I was not about to let Grandma slip away without a treasured family heirloom full of recipes.

What followed, was a year of soliciting family recipes and working with my aunt to compile them and self publish through Morris Press Cookbooks. 

In 2004, the cookbooks were delivered and distributed to our family and friends who had interest. 
We have not discussed running another printing, but I've been toying with the idea of blogging through the cookbook for quite some time and I think the time to start that is now. 

I finished the Write 31 Days series on my own "Family Favorite Recipes" and now I am going to share some of my extended family's favorite recipes.
I haven't tried all of the recipes in the book, even though it has been 13 years, but I have made quite a few. I will work through sharing as many as I can over the next few months. I plan to keep it a balance of old favorites and trying some new ones. 

I hope you will pop back here often for more updates! 

Comments

Popular Posts