Why I'm Reading Tuesdays With Morrie

I was almost finished running errands on Friday, when I sensed a nudge to stop at the thrift store. Thrift stores are hit or miss.  Sometimes I find things I need and sometimes I don't.  Because of this, thrift store stops take patience and time.  I didn't have much of either at the moment.  I was trying to get back to the office in time to deliver Christmas baskets for our employee's before they left for the weekend.

I decided to stop anyway, praying that I would be able to find whatever God had in mind.

Instinctively, I headed for the books.  I looked at some the kids might enjoy and since I was not done Christmas shopping, I considered a few of them.  I put them back.  I came across "Tuesday's with Morrie" by Mitch Albom next - I knew it was for me.

Although the title was familiar, I had never heard anything about it.  I could assume bits and pieces, but I didn't know who Morrie was or the subject of the book.

What I did know was that two weeks ago, I committed to write a weekly newsletter every Tuesday to send out to my email subscribers.  Somehow, I knew this book would be significant but I didn't know why.

I'm half way through the book now.  And I know why.

Morrie (a retired professor) has been diagnosed with a fatal disease.  He is dying. The disease is a progressive and affects his muscles. "Nurses came to his house to work with Morrie's withering legs, to keep the muscles active."  "One day, using his cane....he fell...The cane was exchanged for a walker."

That's what happened to my dad.  He had Multiple Sclerosis.  The disease affected his vision and caused him to see double. It affected his balance.  When he could not walk steadily, he started to use a cane. Eventually, a cane did not give him enough support and he began to use a walker.  He ended up in a wheel chair.  He died approximately 9 years after his diagnosis.

Dad before his diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis
I have a lot more to say about my dad, but that will come later.  Today, I simply wanted to paint the picture of the significance of finding this book.  The author had the privilege of speaking with Morrie and learning from him before he died.  It will be interesting to read the rest of the book and see what an end of life perspective from Morrie was like.    

Pay attention to the nudges you feel.  I believe that the Holy Spirit is at work and speaks in a still small voice.  Sometimes, in ways as simple as a nudge - a gut feeling.  I'll keep reading and will share my thoughts and reflection later.

Tuesdays with Morrie: An old man, a young man, and life's greatest lesson.

I invite you to join my email list to receive weekly updates quietly in your inbox.  

Weekly Learn Out Loud Letter from Wanda

* indicates required

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts