Pitch Black. Dead of Night. Hope is Lost.

Click here to listen to the Audio Version of this Blog Post

We each face seasons in our lives when the sun and stars stop shining. I've been there, more than once. But the storm stilled and God brought me through to the other side.

I have been fascinated by a story in Acts 27 when Paul was on a ship in the middle of a nasty storm. Here Paul updates us about what is going on:



"When neither sun nor stars appeared for many days,
and the storm continued raging....
we finally gave up all hope of being saved." Acts 27:20


Have you been in a storm that keeps raging and you are wondering when it will let up? Have you lost all hope of being saved?

The story doesn't end in destruction. God showed up in the middle of the storm. An angel He appeared to Paul in a dream.

"Last night an angel of the God to whom I belong and whom I serve stood beside me and said, ‘Do not be afraid, Paul. You must stand trial before Caesar; and God has graciously given you the lives of all who sail with you.’ So keep up your courage, men, for I have faith in God that it will happen just as he told me. Nevertheless, we must run aground on some island.”

"Never-the-less, we must run aground..." 
SHIPWRECK


This photo is an excerpt from my raw journal, in a season following one of my shipwrecks - the death of my dad. I was 21 years old - out on my own, starting nursing school and trying to find my way.

I wrote the lyrics of a song I had learned. It became my own prayer at that time.

"Here I am, once again, 
to pour our my heart for I know that you hear every cry
You are listening. 
No matter what state, my heart is in, you are faithful to answer
with words that are true and a hope that is real
in the safety of this place 
I'm longing to pour out my heart, to say that I'm thankful
pour out my heart to say that I need you
pour out my heart to say that you're wonderful. So wonderful."

(POUR OUR MY HEART - VINEYARD)

So what do you do when the storm keeps raging?

Cry out to God.

A raw cry.  No matter what state your heart is in.

Choose to sing in the rain.

If you have lost your song let me sing it back to you.

Look for the star to follow to Jesus.


"We saw his star as it rose,
and we have come to worship him.”
Matthew 2:1-12


This verse refers to the star that appeared when Jesus was born. It led the way to where Jesus was.

As we anticipate celebrating His resurrection on Easter Sunday, it is good to reflect on His birth and His life too.

I pray that your eyes will be opened to see the star that leads to Jesus - breaking through your dark.

Father,
We have been watching the sky for days and nights - looking for a sign that the storm is almost over.
We have lost sight of the stars.
Break through our darkness!
Appear to us - open our eyes to see the star that signals Jesus
God with Us.
Emmanuel.
Resurrected King
Our Savior.
Amen.



Comments

Popular Posts