Surrender to the process - Guest Post by Mary Olenhouse

Welcome Mary Olenhouse to the blog today:

Every heartbreak and disappointment in my life has been followed by a stirring inside of me that whispered..."Surrender to the process."  
I remember when I first heard it on that especially painful day.  My father had just died suddenly of a heart attack.  9 years earlier, my mother lost her three-year battle with cancer, when I was just sixteen. 

With both parents gone, I was now an orphan.


Everything in this life is a process.Some joyous. Some heart-wrenching.Some processes take a day; some drag on for years.
From that moment that my dear friend used that phrase, "Surrender to the process.” for the first time on the day my dad died until now, there have been many processes to surrender to.


I’ve had to be still and allow myself to feel my pain as my Heavenly father soothed my raw and aching soul as only he can.
  • In the times of broken engagements 
  • In the longing for a family to come home to
  • In the longing for people I could count on to be there for important events and holidays
  • In my longings for a husband and children

This orphans heart hurt so badly with the waiting and needing to belong.  

In times when I hurt so badly I had to catch my breath...my sweet Jesus would whisper in my ear, "Surrender to the process. You'll be glad you did."  And I am glad...now.
Now at age 42, I stand in awe of the God who led me here.
I have been married for 6 short years to the kindest, most loving and generous man I have ever known.  
Over the last 5 years, we have fostered 32 kids.  With each child or set of siblings, we’ve always longed that “these will be the ones that stay”.  With each 29 that didn't stay, we faced grief and disappointment.

We are now on the verge of adopting our beautiful girls who we have fostered for the last two years. During those two years, we have prayed and wondered if these would be the ones we would be blessed to add them to our family.

When I think of where I am now, I look back on the pain, the wondering, the profound loss and wanting, and I see the 'process' that was so elusive in the moment. The process that was needed for the perfect outcome to God's perfect plan for my life.

Yes, now I see. THAT was the process and THAT is the reason. God's ways are so much better than mine and the 'process' that was so painful has become so beautiful.

There was a reason for every bump in the road. The process makes a lot more sense now and I am glad I surrendered to the process when I see the beautiful end result.  

-Mary Olenhouse


Thank you Mary for your sweet story! 
If you liked this story and you want to receive future stories directly to your email inbox, subscribe to my mailing list.

Every Tuesday, a new email newsletter with stories and encouragement arrives for you to read in your own timing. 

   


Comments

Popular Posts