Simple Delights - Dippy Eggs and Toast

Dippy Eggs and Toast.....

This morning, another "snow" day allowed me to take my time getting started.  And today this meant I could prepare hot food for breakfast.  Before long, the kitchen smelled absolutely scrumptious as the butter started to brown in my tiny black cast iron pan.  I cracked an egg into the hot butter, and watched it start to sizzle.  Careful not to break the round yellow yoke, I quickly flipped the egg over. Once the white cooked and the egg looked finished, I took my spatula and gently placed it on a plate.  Taking a piece of toast from the toaster, I added it next to the egg and handed it to Corina.  She was anxiously waiting for her new favorite breakfast: the Dippy Egg. 

The smells of the toast, brown butter and dippy eggs took me back many years to my Grandma Weaver's Pennsylvania Dutch farm kitchen.  That is where I learned to like them and ate many of them as a kid.  As a grown up, hearing the horror stories of salmonella and other warnings about eating undercooked eggs, I stopped eating "dippy" eggs entirely.  But now that we have our own chickens and I know where the eggs are coming from, I am not quite as paranoid about food induced illness.

Thus the reason for revisiting the famous "Dippy Egg".  What is the correct name for them - over easy?  Folks from outside of Lancaster may not even know what I am talking about?  How far outside of our family circles to dippy eggs go?

I am sure it may not appeal to many, but it sure transported me right back to that warm and cozy kitchen.  A place I would like to be right now.....

Comments

  1. Yep, we eat dippy eggs! Except Keith grew up eating them over rice... Sometimes we have that for supper :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love dippy eggs...and "egg in a nest" as well. I have no idea how to order them at restaurants so I end up buying omelets!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts