It Better Be Easy - My Favorite Apple Pie Recipe

My grandmother made THE BEST pie crusts.  They were always flaky and tender and melted in your mouth.  Loaded with Black Raspberry filling, these pies were amazing.  I looked up to my grandmother and learned a lot about cooking by watching her.  Unfortunately, I could never mimic her pie crust.  I tried.  Yes, I did.  And when that failed, I resorted to using a "store-bought" pie crust.

Am I the only one who feels like a cheater for not making my own crust?  Why do we beat ourselves up over things like this?  This has got to stop!

I don't do it anymore.  I don't beat myself up over pie but then again, I don't bake pies very often either!  My family knows it's a special day if I make a pie.  They won't be complaining if it's not a homemade crust.  With the holiday's right around the corner, I was asked to bring an Apple pie for a family gathering.  I could simply buy one (the whole pie) at the local grocery store, and feel no guilt. But, I will be making the pie.  Not because I HAVE to, but because I WANT to.  But I will let you in on a little secret.  I won't be buying the crust and I won't be making one like my grandma.

My favorite Apple pie recipe has a simple and easy crumb crust and it is the BEST!  I am happy to share it with you in case you want to try your hand at making a pie.  And if you buy one at Costco, I won't tell. NO GUILT, Mama's.  No guilt.  


Crust and Crumb Topping

2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup brown sugar, packed
3/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/2 cup quick cooking oats

Mix all the above ingredients together.  Reserve one cup of mixture for the crumb topping.  
Spray the bottom of a 9 inch pie pan with cooking spray.  
Press the crumb mixture into the pie pan and set aside.

Apple Pie Filling 

6 Granny Smith apples or other tart apples
1 1/4 cup water
3 Tablespoons cornstarch
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Peel, core and dice about 6 apples.  You need 3 cups diced apples.

In a small saucepan, combine 1 1/4 cup water, 3 Tablespoons cornstarch, and 2/3 cup sugar.  
Stir until smooth.  Bring to a boil.  
Cook and stir for 1 minute or until the mixture thickens, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat and add vanilla and apples.  Stir well.  
Pour apple pie filling into the pie crust.  Sprinkle reserved crumbs over the top.

Bake at 350 ^ for 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown.

AMAZING!

ENJOY.
If you liked this recipe, sign up for my monthly update via email:


Covered-With-Feathers


* indicates required

 


 

 

Comments

  1. This looks super yummy and being easy is an added bonus. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Mama makes something similar to this. We call it Apple Crisp, so as not to confuse it with traditional pie, which Daddy loves and must have a few times a year. He LOVES Mama's pie crust for the taste, but if she's making a pie for herself, she buys it, because she feels presentation is half the enjoyment of food :). And apple pie is the perfect fall treat (after gingersnap cookies... mmm!).
    Blessings in Christ,
    Bri from forget-not-his-benefits.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts