Don't let what you can't do, keep you from what you can do!

These photos are from my home over 13 years ago, when my children were young. I snapped the photos, embarrassed at the state of my living quarters, but too overwhelmed to do anything about it.

I wish I could say that now that the kids have grown, my house looks differently - you know, more tidy and clean... but, it really doesn't. It's just a real kitchen full of dirty dishes and food, backpacks, lunch boxes and bigger shoes and sweatshirts instead of a play kitchen dishes and food, stuffed animals, and Strawberry Shortcake blankets...

It was around this time of my life (as a new mom) that someone introduced me to The Flylady. As you can see, my sink doesn't look so bad! I wish I would have grabbed a hold of the habits that she taught -maybe I would be further along in my housekeeping battle. 

One trick I did learn from her, was to use a timer when starting a task that felt hard. 5 minutes.
Today is one of those days, when I will break out my timer - set it for 5 minutes and attack one area at a time.  I will keep resetting that timer until I feel a little bit more in control of my surroundings.

I'm preaching to myself today, and maybe there is someone else who can benefit from this perspective...

"Don't let what you CAN'T do, keep you from doing what you CAN do." unknown source






Comments

  1. I've never heard of the fly lady, but I do something similar; set the timer for 10 minutes if I really need to accomplish something and just want to sit and eat chocolate, haha! I just tell myself, it's only ten minutes. Just see what you can do in that time. Usually I've made such headway, it no longer feels like that much work to finish it!
    Blessings in Christ,
    Bri from forget-not-his-benefits.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts